Ewenique Fiber- The Blog

Knitting and Natural Soapmaking

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Worried...who's worried?

I had lunch with my wonderful 19 y/o and his girlfriend yesterday. It was a going-away lunch date for us as he is leaving for Nicaragua on a mission trip (I was never that good!). I'm genuinely excited for him...I think he'll have a fantastic time, but I can't help but worry. They'll be in a city (rather than out in the wilds of Nicaragua) but still.....
So what is a fiber-obsessed mom who deals with stress and worry by sketching out shawls and petting fiber to do? This called for a serious fiber project, one that would involve major distraction from reality in the form of hours of online research and some serious planning. I'M BUILDING A LOOM!!
Okay, it isn't quite so impressive as it sounds. It is a triangle loom, which is very simple, really; but wait,it gets even less impressive: after a trip to the lumberyard and some more sketching, I excitedly laid out the pieces of red oak on the floor. Dear hubby came home, saw what I was doing, and pretty much took over the project. I know, I could have stopped him, but I honestly cannot say that I'd do a better job of it than he would, so I stepped aside( for now). Tomorrow I take back the reins as I begin the tedious hammering of close to 600 nails into the rails. I'll try and post a picture of my progress tomorrow (unless my fingers are too swollen and numb).
There is of course a yahoo group for tri-loom weaving, which gave me hours of research material to pour over. You see, aside from a couple of pot holders that I made in third grade, I've no weaving knowledge/experience, so for now I'm sufficiently distracted, sort of. Here is a picture of my son, my daughters, and me. (this past Christmas)

2 Comments:

At Jul 2, 2006, 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I hear ya...I'm back in "loom mode" right now as well. Will be posting a picture of my tiny little Spears tonight complete with my sock yarn belt. I think weaving is a marvelous distraction!

 
At Jul 21, 2006, 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a link to the pattern you are using to construct it, or to instructions to using it once complete? I'm getting fascinated by the idea of a loom, and wish to minimize costs (I'm broke!). The triangle shape is straightforward enough, but how do you determine the placement of the nails?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home