Ewenique Fiber- The Blog

Knitting and Natural Soapmaking

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

FO: Tri-Loom Shawl

My first woven shawl is done! I finished it last night, and I am very pleased with it.
Here is a pic before taking it off the loom:

The weaving was fun and fast. The only good picture that I could get of it off the loom was this one in which my youngest daughter had placed one of her drawings:

I guess the white of the page kept my camera from brightening/distorting the shawl colors.
Here is a close-up of the weaving:

It is by no means perfect, but I love it none-the-less. I used my hand-dyed merino fingering weight yarn in the "girly" colorway. I'm now cutting yarn for a different form of tri-loom weaving called the "cut lengths method" that moves diagonally across the loom. I'll be using a thicker yarn this time for a fuller shawl.

In other news, check out this cool darning "egg" that I bought from http:www.islandgirla.blogspot.com:

It is made of cedar cleared from the aftermath of Katrina. John carves beautiful nostipines and darning eggs from wood he's cleared as a member of the Coastguard working in the area, and his wife Alicia sells them. Each piece is unique and I want to buy them all, but for now I have the cedar one. I found them through an online fiber sales list. The pieces are selling like hot-cakes.

4 Comments:

At Jul 13, 2006, 6:13:00 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

First of all...WOW!!! From endless nail banging/drilling to finished shawl in mere days!!! It takes me a month just to go from buying the supplies to starting the project. And the shawl is gorgeous, just gorgeous. Secondly, I might just consider darning my socks if I could have a pretty egg like that. Kudos on your construction, crafting and collecting!

 
At Jul 13, 2006, 6:34:00 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Amazing! You start and finish projects so quickly! I still haen't finished my father's christmas blanket. The shawl is amazing. Very impressive.

 
At Jul 17, 2006, 5:08:00 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful! I love the colors.

 
At Apr 9, 2007, 6:28:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your shawl is beautiful...I have been borrowing a friends, but I get my own this week. :-)

Keep up the great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home